With today’s social media hype, images or obrazy are very important. When it comes to capturing the attention of your audience, you should take advantage of opportunities to convey your message. Nowadays, it’s easy for information to be ignored if it’s not presented in a captivating format. Since every platform is unique and has limitations, having a consistent medium that can engage your audience on all environments is a MUST and a challenge.
The Importance of Images
Visual content helps convey a story quickly with impact and emotion; it basically improves our story telling. Incorporating images to your content increases the chance that your audience will quickly absorb and recall the message of your brand. According to Robert Lane (Relational presentation: A Visually Interactive Approach), “Images often allow us to explain, simplify, or expand concepts in ways that are very difficult to do (if possible) with text – or even with spoken words.”
Carefully-crafter images can elicit certain reactions. A study by MIT researchers identified three types of reactions: emotional, mental, and social.
- Emotional Reactions. Images can provoke a wide variety of emotions; from fascination to joy to sadness, and even anger. Note that for you to establish a connection to your audience, emotions don’t have to be positive.
- Mental Reactions. A visual content can create an impression to the audience through instructing, informing, and even challenging.
- Social Reactions. People who are aware with the pop-culture may respond to images that support that awareness. These social reactions can also be cultural; thus, an image that speaks to a Chinese audience won’t necessarily connect with Russians.
Why Images should be used
- Although content and not pictures are the reason why people read your article, brochures, or blogs, adding images often bring more traffic. And while writing content may take days, if not weeks, with all the stages involved, searching for a good image will only take a few minutes.
- Images catch people’s attention. Humans are color-sensitive; thus, an image in a text would generally be the first thing that they would notice. One thing about images is that they often do a better job at communicating messages in your article than sentences.
- If you want to reach a wide audience, you might want to use social media. And what better way to engage people there? Images! Including relevant photos with your post can do miracles on Facebook and other forms of social media. So make sure that you include an eye-catching photo in your text.